Uh Oh: Ragnar Running Drama!

I’ve seen quite a few people on my fave blogs talking about all of their fave running relays. Of those, Ragnar is the one that keeps popping up the most. Apparently, Ragnar is coming to Colorado during the summer of 2012, but instead of bringing excitement, Ragnar has entered into a world of Colorado-controversy.

Source

Why? Because Ragnar is apparently stealing dates and entire relay courses!

Take a sec to read the article…. I’ll wait 🙂

There have long been two long-distance running relays in Colorado: the Wild West Relay and the Colorado Relay. Ragnar decided to come to the state, which should have been exciting. However, the race originally slated itself for the exact same weekend as the WWR, claiming it didn’t realize the shared date. Ragnar is now scheduled for the weekend before. And worse? Ragnar apparently sent Tanner Bell, Ragnar founder, out last summer to run the Colorado Relay. After doing this, Bell stole the course and is using the almost identical route for his inaugural Colorado Ragnar.

Drama, drama!! Of course, all of these are the claims made by both the Colorado Relay and WWR founders. However, I tend to agree. That’s awesome to bring another relay to Colorado, but really? First you pick the same weekend, then you take the same course that others have spent years developing and scouting? Doesn’t seem quite right to me.

In other (less controversial news), I had to sign up for Twitter yesterday! Ugh!

Source

We all started receiving clues yesterday for this weekend’s Organ Trail race. Apparently I have to be able to tweet pictures (help, anyone??!) as well as use a QR reader to scan stuff. Riiiiight. Who knew technology was gonna be an important aspect of this urban adventure! On the bright side, it looks like the race starts/ends at a bar!

Very convenient….

Lastly, let’s just title this picture, “You know you’re in Colorado when….”

Source

This was taken in Boulder this morning as the woman’s cat looks out the sliding glass door and sees….oh my….a mountain lion!!

What do you think of Ragnar’s decisions?? Would you race in the Ragnar Relay or choose one of the other two local relays?

Can anyone provide me with a quick and basic Twitter tutorial?! PLEASE!!

Have you ever seen a mountain lion? Other wildlife?

• Reply Christi October 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I am not happy with Ragner’s decision either. I will be sticking with the local race.

Twitter is pretty easy so you will pick it up quickly.

I have not seen mountain lions in my area but have seen foxes, deers and once a bobcat.

• Reply Big Daddy Diesel October 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Here in Ohio, a bunch of exotic animals escaped a wildlife preserve, 50 lions, bears, cheetahs, mountain lions were roaming the country side. That picture could have easily happen here last night

• Reply Tara October 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Hi Heather! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog last week, I look forward to following another Colorado runner.

I hadn’t heard this about the Ragnar, but it sounds like a crappy deal to me. Shame on them!

I would poop my pants if I saw that thing looking in my window. But I guess we do live in Colorado.

• Reply Julia October 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I totally heard about the controversy of the CO Ragnar and it definitely was a factor in our decision to choose that as the one we want to run with other bloggers. Eventually we stuck with our plan but I do NOT think it is right if they stole everything.

• Reply Beth October 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I should be excited about another relay coming to Colorado because I have never done one and so want to!I just hate the drama, trail running is supposed to be a chill community.

I saw on the news this morning about the cat and mountain lion, that is one crazy house cat!

• Reply Terzah October 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Hi Heather! Julie sent me over here. It’s great to meet another CO blogger. I’m at work right now, or I’d catch up with more of your posts. Wasn’t that mountain lion photo crazy? I bet they were glad that door was shut.

I’ve done the Colorado Relay twice (once in 2005 and again this year) and it was great. I say the more relays the merrier. But I was glad to hear about that controversy. I’ve heard the Ragnar events are fun, but that wasn’t a very classy beginning for them in our pretty sophisticated running state.

• Reply Sarah Grecco October 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’m not a twitter-er……If you figure it out LETME KNOW! Haha!

PS – I gave you a shout out on my blog post today!

xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

• Reply Epic Fail October 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Sounds like Ragnar was being a jerk to me.

After twitter you’ll either need to link it to Twitpic or one of the other sites that hosts photos and links to twitter.

We don’t have mountain lions around here, but I have run across a bobcat or two. Some say they are the same thing. I don’t know if that’s true. I guess they look really similar and are about the same size. And you don’t ever want to wrestle with one.

• Reply Christina @ The Athletarian October 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Omg just a casual encounter with a mountain lion…are you FOR REAL?! The cat doesn’t look impressed.

Twitter is simple, you will get the hang of it in a couple of days! Just make sure you figure out the reply button (looks like a little curved arrow) so that you can reply to tweets people send you…and make sure to use the “@” before someone’s name if you want to send out a tweet to someone in particular!

• Reply Kara October 20, 2011 at 12:59 am

Uh, if a mountain lion was that close, I think I’d pee myself!

• Reply Katie @ Will Race for Carbs October 20, 2011 at 1:53 am

I live in Colorado too and I had no idea any of this was going on! Geesh I need to watch the news! I can’t believe that picture of the cat and the mountain lion!!!

I joined twitter not too long ago and I am still trying to figure it out.

• Reply Lena @ Fit on the Rocks October 20, 2011 at 4:19 am

Wow…that was a really sleazy move! Although I don’t think I would participate in either of those because I don’t think I’m that hardcore, I don’t think they handled that very professionally.

In terms of Twitter, I just signed up last week, and I have no idea what I’m doing or supposed to be doing.

• Reply Heidi Nicole October 20, 2011 at 5:17 am

You are bringing me all kinds of news today! I’m going to have to read up on the Ragnar stuff…although, regardless, I think I’d like to try out a tried and true local race before Ragnar.

Something similar happened with the RnR series when it first started up in South FL – same dates/place as some well known local races.

Welcome to Twitter…I’ve been on it for months and I still suck at it!