recipes

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

March 8, 2012
We all know I like to bake…as long as sugar is involved! Or maybe, I really like to eat whatever it is that I bake! Regardless, I got in this baking mood a few days ago and really wanted something chocolate-y to eat…..but unfortunately, I had dinner plans creeping up and didn’t have a lot of time. So, I got creative!1. I used this random spare ice cube tray as the base

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

2. Since the strawberries I have are pretty massive, I halved a few of them and placed a half in each ice cube hole.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

3. I then melted about half of a bag of dark chocolate chips on a double boiler on the stove. Since I eat an enormous amount of chocolate (!), I’ve been trying to at least purchase dark chocolate instead of regular…I figure at least I’m getting more antioxidants or something :)

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

And nope, I don’t own a REAL double boiler! I just put a small amount of water in the bottom pot, wait till it boils and then put the chocolate in the top pot. It’s the same way my Grandma and Mom do it, so I imagine I’m stuck with this technique for life!

4. Pour the chocolate over the strawberries in the ice cube tray. Be aware that it will probably take a bit more chocolate than you think!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

5. Put the tray of goodness in the freezer. I left it in there for about an hour, which was pretty much as long as I could wait before wanting to eat them!

6. Remove tray from freezer and twist it so that the chocolate strawberries come out of the tray. Then EAT!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bar

The ice cube holes break the bar into little individual squares, kind of like a real candy bar, only the pieces are much bigger. I actually have two squares left in my fridge right this second!

Well, actually, not for much longer…..

If you had your choice, do you prefer salty or sweet?
Definitely sugar for me!!
Do you enjoy baking or cooking, or do you do it just because you have to?
I used to be completely anti-kitchen, but I really enjoy baking these days…and am actually starting to like cooking, too! I don’t even know who I am anymore! :)

• Reply Heather (Where's the Beach) March 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I saw that on pinterest and pinned it for a perfect party idea. So glad to see someone post that they tried it. YUM

• Reply Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman March 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm

OMG, Genius!! That’s going to get done in this apartment soon. haha

And there really is no reason to have a double boiler. The double pots work perfectly fine and they have plenty of other uses individually.

• Reply Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm

What a freaking genius idea- I am copying this!!
    I’m not a baker because it involves too much measuring for me. What I do bake, I just kind of throw together and hope it comes out!
    And I am definitely a dark chocolate lover- milk just doesn’t taste “real” to me. The darker the better!

• Reply Christi March 8, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Those look really good! That is an ingenious idea.

• Reply Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run March 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Pretty sure my hubs would love those. I’m gonna have to make them. Plus, I love ANY recipe with less than 4 ingredients since I’m kitchen challenged. :-) I bet you could do that with pretzels and marshmallows too. That would be tasty!

• Reply Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal March 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Mmmmmm marshmallows. Although you have to freeze it to mold the chocolate, and I wonder what that would do to the marshmallows?!

• Reply virg February 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm

the hot chocolate would probably melt the marshmallows somewhat but worth a try I think :)
        could try dried fruit and nuts too

• Reply Bean March 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Yum these look so good and easy. Must try.

• Reply Jamie March 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I’ve seen this on Pinterest too! I definitely want to try it sometime!

I don’t like to cook nor bake, but I prefer baking over cooking. My husband actually does most of the cooking in our house!

• Reply Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal March 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Ha, apparently I need to scour Pinterest better! I totally thought I was being creative but apparently not :)Should’ve known something so easy has been in the world forever!

• Reply Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 8, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Perfectly simple. Love it! I’m trying this asap!

• Reply Amanda - RunToTheFinish March 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

ohh that looks great and pretty darn easy! no chocolate right now due to the vegan challenge, oye.

i am totally a sweets person!

• Reply Elle March 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Great idea. Love it! I am surprised they pop out of the tray without sticking.

• Reply Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I love super easy recipes and this looks great! I’m also a big fan of making do with what you have, as opposed to buying a bunch of fancy stuff… good job with pots!

• Reply Kayla Carruth @ kpLoving It March 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Haha, you’ve funny. That’s not baking…but chocolate covered strawberries are delicious…and the ice cube tray thing was a pretty nifty idea!

I use the ghetto home style double broiler too……and I think I always will.

• Reply Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal March 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Ha, you dork, I know it’s not baking! I wanted to bake but I had like 45 min. before I had to leave so this was all I had time for!

• Reply Kelly March 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Looks incredible! I found this on Pinterest :)

Do you find it difficult to bake in CO? I moved here from the midwest about 6 years ago and it was so frustrating until I found a great conversion chart (but it def. is not simple)

therefore, I prefer to cook :)

yet, I prefer sweets :)

• Reply Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal March 9, 2012 at 4:39 am

I don’t, but I’m originally from here so I don’t really know otherwise! It is pretty standard to add a little extra flour to everything, though :)

• Reply Suz and Allan March 8, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This looks so good! I will have to try making these myself.

• Reply Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen March 9, 2012 at 1:09 am

This is genius – I love this idea! I love to back :)

• Reply Alyssa March 9, 2012 at 1:27 am

I LOVE baking! I wish I had self control so I could do it more often. Parties are a great excuse to bust out the sugar! These look amazing – genius.

• Reply Heather @ Just a Colorado Gal March 9, 2012 at 4:40 am

Self control is a serious problem! I have an awesome snack in the fridge that I made yesterday (I’m sure you’ll see it next week!) and it’s taking MAJOR willpower not to devour it all!

• Reply Ricole March 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

This is pretty much the most delicious thing I have ever seen! I WANT ONE! I would eat that whole ice cube tray in one day though, that would be bad, very very bad!

• Reply LiveLoveDIY March 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm

OMG YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Um, I’m gonna have to do that TODAY!!! :)

• Reply Jennifer L March 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

um, awesome idea!

• Reply Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? March 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Mmmm… imagine sprinkled with sea salt, too? Dark chocolate cries out for a salty zing! Going to try these! Thanks for the idea :)

• Reply Detektei August 10, 2012 at 9:11 am

This is a phantastic idea! Love it because I love chocolate covered fruits and there so many possibilities!! Imagine bananas or grapes… WOW.

• Reply lorraine brown March 23, 2013 at 10:32 pm

just copy receipe will try soon,looks very yummy,

• Reply Nana Nancy March 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

You could put a caramel inside of the tray too, or banana slices, nuts & caramel, so many things this would work with. Thanks for idea.

• Reply Online Theft of My Strawberries - Just a Colorado Gal March 26, 2013 at 5:01 am

[...] in point: a million years ago (or like last year), I wrote this super quick and easy post on chocolate covered strawberries made in an ice cube tray. I had made it on a whim and decided to share the post with y’all just [...]

• Reply Amanda @runtothefinish March 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

oh and thanks for the link so I could pin them :)

• Reply Mike April 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Can one use white chocolate chips for this?

• Reply heather April 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’ve never tried myself but I don’t see why not!

• Reply The 15 Coolest Kitchen Hacks From Around the Web August 4, 2014 at 1:27 pm

[...] With permission from Just A Colorado Girl [...]