Merrick Backcountry: Happy Birthday to Tally!

This post is in partnership with Merrick Backcountry. Thoughts are my own.

Y’all, it’s Tally’s 9th birthday today! It’s hard to believe I brought Baby Girl home from the shelter 8.75 years ago. I swear, she still acts like a pup! {And I swear, I’m still in my 20s, right?! Haha…not even close.}

Seriously, I can’t believe Tals and I have been together for such a long time. I get all emotional when I think about our fun adventures together: river crossings, 14er summits, trail runs, day hikes, and our upcoming road trip to Canada. We’ve managed to cram a lot into our almost-decade!

20150618Merrick10

All photos by Will Rochfort

I get Tally a treat for her birthday every year, and today is no exception. Only this year, she gets two treats: one from me {in the form of a dog cupcake} and one from Merrick Backcountry. Only, she got like a zillion treats from them!

As part of their new ambassador program, Merrick hooked Tals up with a box of goodness: bags full of their Raw Infused Kibble in the Great Plains Red Meat Recipe flavor and cans of various flavors of their wet foods. I swear, she thought it was like Christmas when I pulled all of the cans out of the box! I don’t typically feed her wet food, so this was a bit of an experiment on my part. Would she like it?

20150618Merrick43

In a word, YES!

We’ve been testing out the wet food on her kibble over the past few weeks and it has been the highlight of her day! I scoop a half of a can onto her dry food for breakfast, and she is *literally* besides herself with joy. It even led to a new phrase in our household: All I have to say is, “Tals, do you want some Beef Stew?!” and it’s game over. She will launch up, run downstairs and stand by her food bowl, prancing and leaping in circles. She even throws a few 360s and a shoulder slide in for good measure. Aside from being the most adorable thing on the planet, it makes me happy that she is enjoying her meal so much!

20150618Merrick45

20150618Merrick48

So, what’s so good about the Merrick Backcountry line? Here are my personal highlights:

• The kibble is a grain-free ancestral diet so Tals doesn’t get stomach problems
  • There are big ol’ chunks of raw freeze-dried meat in the mix
  • It’s made in the USA
  • It’s made with real food, not made-in-a-lab ingredients

20150618Merrick56

What Tals eats has always been important to me, but as she gets older, I find myself focusing on it even more. She means a lot to me and deserves to enjoy her meals! As a result, I’ve honestly found myself purchasing the Merrick canned foods on my own. I love how I can buy a few flavors — her favorites are Beef Stew, Rabbit Stew, and Real Chicken — and give her a variety throughout the week.

Merrick Backcountry Logo

And did I mention how adorable she is? How could I deny this freaking cute face anything, especially a tasty snack on her birthday?!

• Reply Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine June 19, 2015 at 6:21 am

Sounds like a great real food company for dogs!

• Reply Joan June 19, 2015 at 6:27 am

Happy Happy Day! For Tally And for You. There are not words enough for a special friend like her.

• Reply Art June 19, 2015 at 6:59 am

I also don’t generally give wet food to my dog, but I have used Merrick’s dry food (I think it was Chicken and Sweet Potato?) and my Luna loves it. Their quality is outstanding. Also…I’m glad I’m not the only one who goes a little overboard on my puppies birthday.

• Reply heather June 19, 2015 at 10:49 am

Oh man, she gets ALL the treats today!

• Reply Shawn@trekopedia June 19, 2015 at 8:26 am

The description sold me. Sounds better than most food people eat!

• Reply heather June 23, 2015 at 9:13 am

It’s better than half of what I eat! 🙂

• Reply The Padre June 19, 2015 at 9:02 am

Happy Happy Tally!! I truly love these photos!! And Those Eyebrows, Unbelievably Cute!!! Big Hugs & Extra Treats

• Reply heather June 19, 2015 at 10:49 am

I love her eyebrows too! When I talk to her, she’ll raise one and then the other, all quizzical. I swear, it’s like she actually understands me 🙂

• Reply Alisa @ Go Dairy Free June 19, 2015 at 9:46 am

Tally is SO adorable! I love seeing your pics with her. I’m excited to see that Merrick Backcountry has cat food, too! Our kitty is older and I’ve been looking for good canned food for her to enjoy that is grain-free and healthier!

• Reply heather June 19, 2015 at 10:50 am

Definitely give it a shot! I was honestly shocked at how delightful she finds this stuff!

• Reply amanda brooks June 19, 2015 at 11:20 am

YEAHHHH puppy 🙂 I admit we don’t really celebrate our cats birthdays, but then they won’t let us dress them up or take them for walks

• Reply heather June 23, 2015 at 9:12 am

Hell would have to freeze over for Tals to allow me to dress her up 🙂

• Reply Jessica June 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I like the look at the 96% real beef on the canned food label. We got to try the dry food but I hope to get a chance to try the wet food too. I am more likely to mix that into Chester and Gretel’s raw food than the kibble… although it is good for mornings where I forget to thaw the raw out.

• Reply Bridget McGahen June 19, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Hey! That’s the brand I feed my Morton! He’s allergic to gluten, and this is one of the only foods that doesn’t make him itch.

• Reply Christy June 22, 2015 at 4:34 am

Cola gets wet food. It used to be just as a special treat, but now he won’t touch his cry food unless I mix it with the wet.. spoiled rotten!

• Reply heather June 23, 2015 at 9:11 am

Hahah someone has his mama wrapped around his paw 🙂 PS Don’t tell Tals because she will try the same!

• Reply Merrick Backcountry | Fuel for Your Adventurous Dogs - WildernessDave.com June 24, 2015 at 6:42 pm

[…] “I scoop a half of a can onto her dry food for breakfast, and she is *literally* besides herself with joy. It even led to a new phrase in our household: All I have to say is, “Tals, do you want some Beef Stew?!” and it’s game over. She will launch up, run downstairs and stand by her food bowl, prancing and leaping in circles. She even throws a few 360s and a shoulder slide in for good measure.” – Heather Balogh […]